I’ve been using different types of coffee makers throughout the years and using a coffee press is the easiest and least expensive way to brew a delicious cup of coffee.
Brewing with a French Press requires you to do things at the right time. It won’t take too long, and I have also mentioned the coffee to water ratio as per the number of servings you are making.
How to Use Coffee Press?
Before we start, you will need a few things. Here is a list of those items.
- A French Press coffee maker, of course!
- Coffee beans. Depending on how strong you prefer, choose the roast type accordingly
- A kettle and a carafe
- Mug & Burr Grinder
- Stirring utensil
If you’ve recently bought a French Press machine, then give it a gentle wash, else if you are using an old one, make sure you’ve cleaned it thoroughly, so no old grounds remain inside and spoil the flavor.
You should prefer whole bean coffee and then grind it with a burr grinder. Grinding too early can lead to loss of flavor and aromas.
Finally, use a scale for measurements. This will ensure a perfect and delightful taste.
How To Brew?
- The first thing you need to do is heat the water in the kettle at 205 degrees. Bring it to boil and then let it sit for 30-seconds
- Pour one-quarter of hot water in the French press and press the plunger. Swirl this hot water for about 10 seconds, and then pull the plunger up and remove the lid. Discard the water.
- Now, grind the coffee beans in the burr grinder on coarse setting
- Pour the grounded coffee in French Press and give it a gentle shake back and forth to settle all the grounds.
- Next, add half of the hot water evenly over the grounds. This will force the ground coffee to release trapped gases. This results in a better coffee flavor and aroma. You will see a thick crust of coffee grounds during this process.
- After pouring, start the timer and wait until 30 seconds are complete. Use a stopwatch on your smartphone.
- After 30 seconds, stir the coffee for 5 seconds to mix the grounds evenly with water.
- Now, pour the remaining half of the water over the coffee and place the lid on French press with the plunger pulled all the way up. Let the coffee steep until the timer reaches 4-minutes.
- Finally, press the plunger gradually all the way down. This will filter the grounds from coffee. Pour the coffee into the mug.
- Sip & Enjoy!
1: Grind & Measure
2: Add Hot Water
3: Place Plunger & Brew
4: Press & Pour
Benefits Of Using French Press
After drip coffee makers, it is one of the easiest and least time-consuming ways to brew coffee. You can prepare coffee for several people in less time.
It prepares coffee by steeping grounds in hot water and finally pressing the grounds out. The only drawback, if your timing is not perfect, is bitterness and oiliness that might taste a bit nasty.
|FRENCH PRESS SIZE||3-Cup||4-Cup||8-Cup|
|COFFEE||17 Grams||27 Grams||54 Grams|
|WATER||275 mL, plus additional for pre-heating||430 mL, plus additional for pre-heating||860 mL, plus additional for pre-heating|
It is time to rush to the kitchen, grab your French Press machine, gather all the ingredients and brew a delicious cup of coffee.
Don’t forget to share J.